Friday, November 12, 2010

Recipes we love!

I love to cook. My girls both love to be in the kitchen. Three is also very into "helping." :)

So in this blog post I'm going to share some of the recipes we love!

Rice Pudding--this is an EXCELLENT way to use up leftover rice!

1 cup rice
2 cups milk (soymilk works well too)
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
Optional: Raisins/Craisins/Dried banana's

Add rice to milk, heat to scalding. Beat egg yolks, add the hot rice/milk mixture. Place mixture back into saucepan, cook until thickened. Fold in dried fruit. Three loves this on cold mornings (he likes it better than oatmeal!)

Bacon Cheeseburger Chicken--from http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/bacon-cheeseburger-chicken.html

I'll summarize here though, you should check out Kevin and Amanda though, it's a cute blog!

Make bacon bits--just fry the bacon, let it cool for a minute and then chop. Trust me it's worth the few extra minutes!
Brown the chicken tenderloins. Place in a casserole dish.
Add Teriyaki sauce (to be honest, I've never made it with the teriyaki sauce...because I just didn't have it. I've mixed soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and used that), just enough to cover the chicken.
Put on a coating of ranch dressing (get the ranch with bacon if possible...it makes it extra yummy, although it's good with regular ranch as well.)
Top that with cheese, and then bacon bits.
Bake @350 for about a 1/2 hour.

YUM-O! This is One's favorite meal. Fav.Or.Ite.

This next recipe is from http://www.food.com/recipe/bourbon-chicken-45809 and is a recent find. It was such a big hit, that the fam has requested I make a double batch next time, as they all wanted more!

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar (I didn't have this, and left it out.)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Cook your chicken. Remove it from the pan. Add ALL the other ingredients to the pan, heat over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved. Add chicken back to the sauce, bring to a hard boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. The website recommends serving with rice, but *I* prefer it with mashed potatoes (when I eat it at a restaurant) so that's what I made at home. It was delish, I kid you not, and done in 30 minutes!


I hope you'll try some of these, and ENJOY!

No comments: