Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Looking ahead (for a change!)

Honestly, I was once one of the most prepared people....over the last year though, my personal life (meaning: the grown up stuff) has fallen apart around me, and as I've been trying to piece it back together others areas of my life have most definitely suffered. I'm trying to get THOSE parts back on track.

My plan for December consists mainly of a countdown to Christmas. We will only do "real" school through the 16th. The week leading up to Christmas has a birthday for our family (Two is turning 12....*sigh*) as well as Yule, and the week after we need to recover. ;) Plus, I think MIL is coming in for at least some of that time. We'll do a study of Winter in January (even though it starts this month.) For December, we're going to countdown and discuss some of the symbols of Christmas.

I found this link that gives some background to the different symbols of Christmas. There are Bible verses and biblical reference. I'm good at taking the parts of things that work for me, and leaving the rest...I recommend you do the same. *wink*


Our Christmas Countdown, which will start on the 1st, includes these activities:

1. Open new ornaments for the tree (Each year the kids get new ornaments for the tree, I try to find something representative of their year, and I'm SUPER excited about this years ornaments.)
2. Take Christmas Pictures!
3. Attend a Christmas parade.
4. Write letters to Santa.
5. Discuss St. Nicholas Day and leave out shoes!
6. Shop for a gift for Birthday Buddy (this is a birth board gift exchange.)
7. Shop for a gift to donate to Toys for Tots.
8. Train ride
9. Make Christmas Cookies!
10. Make a handmade ornament.
11. Make and leave gifts for neighbors on their doorsteps.
12. Drive around to see Christmas lights.
13. Buy presents for siblings.
14. Choose a special treat.
15. String popcorn for the birds.
16. Have a family christmas movie night, with special goodies.
17. Make Chex Mix and Muddy Buddies.
18. Make chocolate covered pretzels
19. Learn a French Christmas tradition
20. Make Christmas presents for family.
21. Visit the bookstore and choose a new Christmas book.
22. Christmas lights hayride and visit Santa.
23. Make a craft with Mom.
24. Make reindeer food, and Santa's cookies. :)




No comments: