Thursday, February 8, 2007

Week of February 5th

So, I'm a little late getting up our post for the week! It's been a busy week-bowling league, sign language class, lunch date with a friend, finishing up Valentines, preparing for our Girl Scout meeting, making some chocolate candies, and cupcakes! I just hadn't had enough time to sit down and type about it all.

We have moved on to Arizona for our mini-unit studies, we chose Arizona because my dd's best friend was going there for a few days earlier this week (she talked to her yesterday on the phone, they were back safe and sound). You can get the study at: http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/unitssubjgeog/a/susaz.htm

We started using Story of the World as well, and that has been really exciting. We've made a "History of My Family" book, and a timeline of each of the girls lives. They really enjoyed this first chapter. To finish up the first chapter, we will have an "archealogical dig" in the backyard!

We've been doing our regular school schedule this week! That's what else had made it CRAZY! Plus it's a Girl Scout week, I'm the Daisy leader for our troop. Our troop is entirely homeschoolers, and we have all age levels (Daisy's through Cadet's). It's pretty great, but there is always prep work, so I've been busy getting ready for that. I made some Valentine Bingo cards for the girls to play (and will use them with my own kiddo's next week)...you can find all sorts of printable bingo cards, just about any kind you want at:

http://www.dltk-cards.com/bingo/

We've also got 2 Valentines parties coming up, our Girl Scout troop one tomorrow, and our homeschool group one next week. The girls have been hard at work making their valentines from various card stock and foam stickies (I found some CUTE ones in the Dollar Spot at Target back at the beginning of Jan), some stampers (from Dollar $ Tree), some lace doilies I found for next to nothing at Wal-Mart, and a cupid punch out (also from the Dollar Spot). Then today, we made some chocolate candies. I bought the candy mold from Wal-Mart (it was pretty cheap too), and just melt down chocolate chips and fill the molds and let it harden. Sure, we could BUY candy (well, actually, we have to special order since my kids have crazy allergies) but what fun would that be??? I'm also making heart shaped cup-cakes for our party tomorrow. In order to make them heart shaped, I just use a small ball of aluminum foil placed inside the cupcake tin in the right spot, then bake and Voila! Heart shapes. I'll try to take a picture of that...although currently we can't find the memory card stick for our camera, so we may never get those pictures uploaded! Hehehe.

Our youngest student is doing great. Growing like a weed. He slept for 6 1/2 hours last night, straight! Painful for me (I'm nursing), but great for him! Unfortuneatly, he has a small cold right now. It doesn't seem to be bothering him much though, he's a pretty great baby!