Thursday, April 26, 2007

April's Almost over!

I can't even believe it. Amazing. Where has this year gone?

Anyway, the girls are doing their presentation about Egypt/Pyramids/Mummies this afternoon. I think they are excited....I hope.

I thought we would move onto studying the body, or the solar system, but instead the girls wanted to learn about dinosaurs, so that's where we've been. We completed a KWL chart this week, and then went to the library to check out some books that have the info in them the girls wanted to learn. They are quite excited, so we'll get to the body or solar system after dinosaurs...maybe.

We've been having some mental health, emotional health issues at our house. I went to a homeschool conference, specifically about special needs, last weekend and what an eye opener it was for me. I've had some thoughts in the past that there might be "more" going on with my oldest dd. It's been clear for a long time that she has ADD, and the diet and supplements haven't even touched her symptoms. Diet and supplements have completley gotten her sisters issues with hyperactivity/impulsivity under control, so I was a bit surprised that it hadn't worked for the other. Anyway, after the conference confirmed (at least for me) that we were dealing with more than just ADD, I made an appt with our ped first thing Monday morning. After spending time talking with her, and her making 4 pages (yes 4) of notes, she agreed with every thing I thought. She recommended some additional supplements, and my dd has been taking those since Monday afternoon. She's had one spectacular day, and then a better-but-not-wonderful-day, today is seeming like another really good day (with one minor meltdown this morning....although she actually handled it MUCH better than her sister, which never would have happened before this week). Tomorrow we go to see a child psychologist to get an evaluation to pindown what is really going on in her little brain. She's such a bright kid, and such a sweet, empathetic girl that I have hated to see the spiral we've been going down that turned into an angry, frustrated, tearful child. After speaking with my ped, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and feel like there is real hope. I'll keep you posted about what's going on as we progress through our counseling.

Our youngest student, almost 4 months old now, has been working hard on new skills! He is now rolling over! I am actively baby proofing as well! :-) It'll be no time before he's really moving!