Well, my big plans last week were dashed to tiny bits strewn around my home! Because I, and the baby, got sick. I am finally feeling better, but I still have a lingering cough and the littlest has a runny nose. We managed to get only a minuscule amount of our review done. We completed some of our timeline, but only managed to play Mercury and Venus jeopardy and didn't really get into our lapbook. SO, we'll be doing another "Review Week" this week to finish up the things I really want to get to. I think this lap book is going to be awesome, and I'm at least as excited as the girls (maybe more so). I also decided on some really awesome fall crafts for the kids.
We'll be making luminaries out of jars. We made two already (we plan to make more), they are very cute! We just watered the paint down a little, and painted the entire outside of the jar with orange paint. We let that dry, then we painted on jack-o-lantern faces with black paint. Set a votive candle inside the jar, and voila! They turned out very cute...
We'll also be making ghosts! These are made out of garbage bags and smaller plastic bags. I made one as a "prototype" to see how easy they would be and if it would turn out the way I intended. I'll post a pic of these once the girls make some. But, the directions are simple. Take a garbage bag. If it's the drawstring kind, you need to cut out the drawstring. Stuff smaller plastic bags into it (originally, I thought I'd use newspaper, but then, I didn't have any on hand so I used plastic bags-like Target bags-and they worked fine!). Gather them into a HEAD, then tie the bag under the head (I used ribbon, you could use yarn, string, rope, a bread tie, whatever you have lying around...even a pipe cleaner would probably work). Then use a permanent marker to make a face (or not). Put a small hole in the top to run a string to hang it! Voila. You're done. It's super cute too. The girls were itching to make them, and then I got sick.
Lastly, well, for right now anyway, we will be making a scarecrow from paper bags. I have two of the large sized bags (grocery size) that we'll put together and stuff for the body. Then we'll make arms and legs out of smaller ones. My idea is to cut the bottom end off of one bag then join three bags together to make the legs and maybe two bags for the arms. These dimensions may be changed as I don't know how it will look....it'll be a work in progress. Then we'll decorate a head and draw on some clothes etc. I think it will be fun, and hopefully it will be cute too. We'll see? :-)
The only project that did get completed this week was my oldest dd's centerpieces for our Girl Scout ceremony. They turned out beautifully! The flower one she made while I nursed the baby! The candle one I had to help some because we found out that school glue, and tacky glue won't glue silk leaves to floral foam AND hot glue will burn you through silk leaves. So, she directed and I did the sticking.
Hopefully, we'll have a more productive "Review Week #2"! Hopefully, we'll all stay well! The girls also made some "Discovery Bottles" for the baby, we've got two done-one is a red one (red glitter and red dyed water) and the other is a "stuff" one (it has STUFF in it! A heart shaped doily, some pom poms, some feathers, some popsicle sticks, some confetti, etc) They were very proud of themselves, and I updated the links to include the site that I am getting some more ideas from.
This afternoon we are off to a Halloween Spooktacular! Our homeschool group has put together a "Trunk or Treat" sort of thing. It should be lots of fun!