Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Week of November 5

This week, we're beginning a unit on "the science of Autumn". I found a great book at the library titled The Nature and Science of AUTUMN by Jane Burton and Kim Taylor. I decided to start with seeds and berries, and their purpose. We've looked at a diagram of a seed, we learned the vocabulary, discussed the difference between a dicot seed and a monocot seed. Yesterday, we disected an apple seed and identified some parts. The girls REALLY liked that part. We began an experiment. And tomorrow we'll be going on a nature walk, and trying to find some more seeds and berries. We'll also be watching this great video, which goes along with this Krampf science experiment. I HIGHLY recommend the Krampf group (you don't even have to join to access the messages. They do one experiment a week, and it's a great group to "search" if you're looking for a quick experiment about whatever subject you might be covering.

Our first webquest went, ok. Aside from the writing assignment, it went great. And, overall it was a good experience as I learned that my children need a lot more help with creative writing. I hadn't previously realized how much they struggled with that, so it was an eye opener. They enjoyed the other tasks though, and we'll defineatly do another webquest soon!

We've finally finished the Mercury side of our lapbook, but the battery is dead in my camera, so I'll update later today with a picture of that. Then we plan on starting the Venus side, finally. I hadn't anticipated the review of these two planets taking so long...but oh well! They really know their facts about Mercury! :-)

Today is our "out day". We spend most of the day each Wednesday, out. We normally do the park, and library. Park first, so that my younger dd is calm and able to behave in the library. Today however, we are participating in a Homeschool Art Show. Luckily, it is right across the street from the park. So, we'll do the art show for awhile, then the park, then lunch, then head to the library. Today is also Homeschool Story Time day at one of the libraries....not the one that we normally go to, but we skip our normal library once a month for this special time. It's really a great thing! It's for kids 6 and up, and they read a book, do a craft, and sometimes there is music, etc. The librarian in charge of this program is fantastic, and my kids look forward to it.

For lunch, I think we'll be hitting Pizza Hut to use our Book-It certificates! Woo hoo. It will make for a LONG day...because the art show, and library are far enough away (but nicely enough close enough to each other) that we won't be coming home between any of our "out" activities. Hopefully, my baby will manage to get some sleep anyway (he likes his own bed at nap time....so all day out is hard). I'm thinking I might drive around long enough after the art show that he'll fall asleep and sleep in the car while the girls play at the park.

I will edit to add more later, including art show photos!

No comments: