Thursday, February 16, 2012

Skinny Housewife Dinner

I've been getting rid of some extra weight, and I've been trying to eat healthier/lighter meals. Today's post I'm going to share with you a great site I found via a friend as well as reviews from my family.

Skinnytaste is a great site. I have tried four recipes from there so far, and all but one were well recieved by my kids.

Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole was for dinner last night. I loved it. None of the kids complained (and c'mon getting all 4 kids to like something...that's a pretty big feat.) The Punk (my hubby) said "it was heavy on the onions." But...honestly, it wasn't "minced fine" it was merely chopped and I just dumped in a cup of chopped onions (because I chop a big bag of them and toss them in the freezer to use in cooking.) Next time, I'll add less to appease my man. I also didn't get to add mushrooms because when I pulled them out of the fridge they were...past their prime. Next time, I'm definitely going to add the mushrooms! And, yes we will have this again.

The first recipe I made from the site was Baked Potato Soup. It was a big hit. I hid the fact that there was cauliflower in it...because my kids don't like cauliflower. *wink wink* I made a double batch, because there are a bunch of us. It was such a hit that Two actually requested this soup as her birthday dinner (in our house, you get to request anything you want Mom to make for breakfast and dinner on your big day!) The second time around, they knew there was cauliflower in it, but since they already knew they liked it...they didn't care.

Pepper Steak wasn't a huge hit. I might make it again for One and I to have as a lunch dish. The Punk didn't care for it, Two and Three flatly rejected it. One and I did enjoy it though. I love pepper steak, and this was a very nice version of it IMO....I added broccoli to mine (after serving The Punk and Two...since The Punk refers to them as "vile weeds" and Two is in the same camp.)

Last, but not least, Skinny Sloppy Joes! This was a hit as well. The Punk said it was "more flavorful" than that stuff from the can. Again, all the kids enjoyed it. The only complaint was from Two who loathes carrots. The next time I will maybe steam them first, as my Magic Bullet had a difficult time with them. She didn't like that there were small chunks of carrot visibly in her sloppy joe....you couldn't taste them, but ya know, sometimes they just have to find something to complain about.

I'm trying new recipes all the time, and will try to feature new things here once a week, along with my reviews. :)




No comments: