Friday, September 20, 2013

Skinny Housewife

First, I want to address something that I was wondering since reading my friend Liz's blog about self image.  I was momentarily concerned that my "Skinny Housewife" posts might make someone out in the blogosphere feel bad about themselves.  Then I thought...nah, that ain't me.  It's not my bag to make others feel bad.  First, I'm not skinny.  Second, my posts are never condemning or bossy (You SHOULD be eating THIS.)  They are mostly healthy things that I've found that I actually LOVE, and that sometimes my kids like too and an effort to share.

Now, on to what I wanted to post about this week.  :)

I think I may have mentioned Paleo lifestyle before (I prefer lifestyle to diet, because honestly since the first four days, I haven't felt like I'm on a diet AT ALL.)  If not, quick recap:  it's eating like a caveman.  You only eat things that would have been available 'back in the day.'  I've been eating Paleo for almost 2 weeks (which in internet time makes me an expert.)  Everything that I read said to expect to feel like hell for at least a week, and possibly up to two.  Luckily, it didn't last that long for me, but I have to say that the first 4 days were ROUGH.  The sugar withdrawal was brutal.  I had a headache for 4 days straight.  The worst was when The Punk told me I was actually asleep with my hand on my forehead (yes, my head hurt SO BAD that I was aware of the pain, even in my sleep.  Sweet, right??)  That particular headache had rendered me useless (it hurt so bad I couldn't think!)  However, the next day?  It was over.  Apparently, those sugars and grains put up a fight on the way out.

I love this lifestyle.  Let me list the reasons:

1.  I have so much more energy.  Honestly, this was one of those things I've read but FEELING it within my own skin has still stunned me.  Prior to starting to eat differently, I was tired all the time.  I wanted a nap EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  I was sleeping as late as possible (when The Punk would get up with the boys) and being miserable on the days that I couldn't.  Even with all that love of sleep, I needed sleeping pills to actually FALL asleep.  It was a crazy vicious cycle.  Now?  I'm falling asleep sans pills around 10:30 every night.  I've been awake BEFORE the kids every day this week.  And my kids wake up before the sun.  For the last 3 days, I've been up at 5:15.  Just awake.  Not miserable about being awake.  Just awake.

2.  Everything I've made so far has been YUMMILICIOUS.   And, the paleo versions of a few foods I was bemoaning having to give up (spaghetti--my very favorite meal and chili--as we enter fall/winter,) have blown me away with yumminess so it's ALL GOOD.  AND, at a dinner get together I attended last weekend, someone showed up with "ultimate paleo chocolate chip cookies," it was like the universe was rewarding me for not eating the cupcakes that had been on the counter for two hours, or gobbling up those chips.

3.  My kids are eating better, just because they want what I'm having!  No one else in my house is currently paleo (One is vegetarian.)  The Punk is totally supportive of this choice for me, and has decreased his intake of the "no-no's" and he's definitely eating better because he's eating with me.  A couple nights ago, I made garlic-cauliflower faux-tatoes.  The kids all ate it!  Three complained that he didn't like it, but he complains about almost all food that is put in front of him right now (except watermelon) so, I was expecting that.  One kept repeating how much she LOVED the potatoes that night.  Yesterday morning, I told her what it REALLY was and explained that that's why she liked it so much (she loves cauliflower, like her mama.)  Two ate them, and while she wasn't raving about them, she also wasn't complaining.  Personally, there was too much garlic for me and I think Two felt the same.  Next time, I'll dial that back a little.

4.  When I open my fridge, I get to marvel at an astounding number of fruits and veggies.  I know this seems simple, but we can hardly fit anything in there for the grapes, watermelon, pineapple, kale, mushrooms, tomatoes, squash, apples, carrots and peaches!

5.  I've lost 4 lbs.  I need to lose about 15.  And, one of my hopes for going paleo was to lose this belly fat (abs are made in the kitchen, ya know.)

Like most diets or lifestyle changes it's not for everyone, clearly.  And I'm not saying YOU SHOULD ALLLLL GO DO THIS NOW!  BUT, for ME, it has been truly amazing.  Not only do I feel great, and the food is yummy...I'm just HAPPY.  I've been able to give up taking all my vitamins (and let's be honest, while a pill form vitamin is better than not getting them...but they are never as good as ACTUAL FOOD) and still feel amazing.  *Hallelujah*

So, now that I've touted how amazing I'm feeling, let me confess something.  Yesterday was "Talk Like  Pirate Day."  Krispy Kreme doughnuts gives you a free doughnut if you come in and talk like a pirate.  They will give you a free DOZEN if you come in dressed like a pirate.  Their definition of "dressed like a pirate" and mine differ...so when we showed up in pirate bandana's and t-shirts meaning to claim A free doughnut (one for One, Two, and Three...none for me, being Paleo, and none for Four because of his allergies.) they sent us home with TWO DOZEN.  *slow blink*  I've never been good with temptation.  It's just not my bag.  I gave away a dozen almost immediately upon arriving home.  One, Two and Three all had 2 doughnuts a piece.  And, me?  I ate 4.  Four.  FOUR.  *shakes head in shame*  It is what it is.  It's over and done.  I was still up at 5:15 today, and I still feel great.  I do want MORE sugar again, which I had stopped really feeling (but sugar makes you crave sugar.)  I'm fighting that with water.  Tons of water.  Trying to just flush it from my system.

None of us are perfect.  We all fall.  We all eat doughnuts.

No comments: