Saturday, January 2, 2021

Intermittent Fasting: Still at it

 I posted a blog back at the end of April, about giving IF a try.  I was unable to work out like I used to because of the pandemic canceling all my classes, and the gym being closed.  I also read a lot about how it just overall made people feel better and increased healthy sleep patterns.  Those benefits were things I definitely needed when I was on third shift, but now that I am back out of the land of the zombies I have found that I'm still reaping those benefits.  There are a ton of other health benefits to IF, and I would encourage you to do your own research as I don't feel like any one plan is right for everyone.  I will say that I have lost probably a couple pounds, but I've definitely lost inches around my waist which is the area I most wanted to shrink if I could choose.  

My original fasting went like this: 

Dinner around 2pm.

Bed around 4pm. This is the time when my eating window closed for the day.

Wake around 9pm.

Work til 8am.  I would end my eating window between 6 and 8.  Giving me a 14-16 hour fasting time.  When I told people that they usually would gasp and say "I could never" but I promise you, yes you could.  My body adjusted very quickly, and as long as I made sure to eat enough during my window, and drinking enough water I didn't find it very difficult.  

When I switched back to day shift, I had a hard time adjusting my windows and put it on hold for about a month.  But, I really started to feel YUCKY.  Exhausted allllll the time, no matter how much I slept, or how well I slept.  I realized my body didn't like this state of being, and I needed to figure out how to work my window around my current schedule.

Now, my eating window opens between 11-1, just depends on the day and how busy I am with work.  My goal is always 11, because that gives me a 14 hr fast, but sometimes I get pushed later because I'm just busy at 11 and don't get the chance to eat until closer to 1.  My eating window closes at 9pm.  There are health benefits to longer fasts, but for me personally, 14-16 hours is enough.  I've done a couple 18-hour fasts, just because of not being able to eat when I wanted but that's as long as I've gone.  I didn't feel awful, to be clear, it's just not for me. 

Since returning to the IF lifestyle, I've noticed a significant boost in my energy levels again.  I'm drinking enough water again.  Drinking water is a habit I struggle with, but I'm not sure why exactly.  I don't mind water, but unless I'm in a fast, it's not going to be my drink of choice.  So not only was I giving myself too much sugar, and too much caffeine and calories, I was depriving myself of hydtration.  Because I'm not that bright sometimes.  This is probably the number one benefit of IF for me personally, I'll drink plenty of water and I'm SURE this is part of the higher energy levels.  Hydration and exhaustion go hand in hand and are often an overlooked correlation.  IF gives me the discipline to drink all the water.  You do what works.  




No comments: