Thursday, May 1, 2014

Skinny Housewife

This post has been rattling around in my head for several days.  I am currently "in training."  In the month of May I am doing two obstacle runs.  One is more challenging than anything I've done to date, and is the litmus test for doing an even HARDER one in 2015.

In training for ME consists of more body weight exercises than I've ever done.  And, I've added weights (10 lbs...so nothing MAJOR) to some of them.  I'm using the weights with squats, lunges, and calf raises so that I am lifting my own body weight PLUS an extra 20.  I'm focusing a lot on strength, so that I can manage the obstacles.  I'm not too worried about the running, but last week was the first time I've run a full 5k since last summer (I think July or August?)  I've been focusing on 1 mile stretches, since the obstacle run is more of a interval activity (run, obstacle-which often involves a wait, run, obstacle) I will have recovery time and be able to run more.  However, I needed to prove to myself that I could run a full 5k still...because I'm strange like that.

At the same time, I decided to join another DietBet.  I've joined 2 before, and won.  I have this 15 lb window that I fluctuate around in.  Currently, I'm at the high end of that window and I'm really unhappy about it.  I thought the DietBet would motivate me more, since it has in the past.  What I didn't account for was how much strength training I'm doing and how that might actually counteract my weight loss.

Watching that scale number NOT move at all, can be daunting.  We tend to be really caught up in the number we see.  Normally, that is not true for me...as I try really hard to gauge my health in terms of how my clothes fit, and how I feel rather than what the actual number says.  Because of the DietBet...I'm extremely focused on my weight.  I feel GREAT.  And, I can see muscles where I didn't before.  I KNOW changes are happening.

I need to get out of my own head.  I need to tuck the scale under the bed until I *must* weigh-in for the DietBet.  I need to realize that I may LOSE (I'm super competitive in nature, which is part of why DietBet has been a success for me twice before, so this is a BLOW.)

 

No comments: