Saturday, March 7, 2015

Sideways Saturday: A vacation!!!

We haven't gone on vacation since December of 2013.  I know for some of you, that doesn't seem like that long.  BUT we had become accustomed to getting away around Xmas each year, and then in 2014 it just wasn't a possibility.  We were all bummed.  So, when The Punk suggested that we go away for Easter weekend since he and I both have Good Friday off, I was *all in!*  Then, he looked and decided that the beach trip (our usual 'go to') was just out of the budget and he dismissively said "we'll just do it another time."  I was having none of that.  I just understand that logistically since I work on Monday and Friday another "long weekend" that works for both of us isn't going to happen any time soon.  So, I set out to find another option.  Something that would fall into our budget, and still be fun AND maybe something new.  I found it.  We are getting away to the mountains.  I've never been to the Appalachian Mountains (I've been to the Rocky Mountains though, WOOT.)  None of the kids have either.  So, it will be a new experience all around.  We can hike (something we all enjoy doing,) visit some caverns-I already am planning a lesson on stalactites and stalagmites-and also enjoy the hot tub and fire pit on site where we are staying.  I'm SUPER stoked about this.

Now, I wait a month.

And, we will get to the beach for Mother's Day (it's my gift to myself each year...a day trip to the beach with the kids) as well as for One's 17th birthday this summer (she's asked for a girls beach trip with her two best friends and her sister.)  AND I am immensely hopeful that I am going to successfully budget in a Xmas trip this year.  Seeing how much my kids preferred that to having more gifts here at home really stuck with me.  That we ALL preferred having 4 days together at the beach, and just a couple presents makes me feel like a winner.  I'm going to do my best to make that a reality again this year.


No comments: