Monday, July 12, 2021

2021 Travel Goals

After I got fully vaccinated back in April, I set a goal for myself to travel more in 2021 than I ever have in my life.  Truly.  I wanted to do more, even if it was day trips or a single overnight.  

So far, I have been successful!  

The ocean is just under 2 hours from me and since late April I've visited 6 times and have plans to go again end of the week.  I live right around 2 hours from one of my favorite spots, Hanging Rock State Park, as well.  I've visited there less...but that's because it's summer and I'm taking advantage of the beach.  I have visited Hanging Rock twice this year though.  I just spent two nights in Winston-Salem, which is a city that I had never visited before (aside from a dance competition once where I didn't do any exploring.)  We visited some murals downtown, went over to Mt Airy, and visited the waterfalls in Hanging Rock State Park while we were there.  We visited Beech Mountain for Easter and had such a good time that we are planning a family trip back there in September to include my parents.  

I made one really big trip and I did it completely alone.  I've flown alone before, but always to meet someone or a group.  And I have always been met at the airport by someone I know.  This trip wasn't that.  I flew alone.  Picked up my rental car to travel the area alone.  Checked into my hotel alone.  I went on tours alone.  I stayed in the hotel alone.  I swam alone. I hiked alone.  And it was the most magnificent life-changing trip ever.  This trip was across the country,  NC--->AZ.  I have never seen the Grand Canyon and just decided to go.  I had taken some time off for a purpose that didn't work out, so 10 days before the trip I booked it.  I wanted to do something and go somewhere brand new to me.  I will never regret doing that for myself. 

I booked a Grand Canyon tour, and I would highly recommend it.  My tour guide was wonderful, I can't even speak enough good words about him.  He and I were alone on the bus for the last leg since I was the last one to be dropped off and he told me that he could tell that I "got it" on a level that not everyone does and that made the experience even more rewarding for him as well.  And I did get it.  I tell you I sat at a south rim overlook and cried at the sheer overwhelming beauty and vastness!


I feel like my joy and peace radiates from my face in this picture.  I visited Buddah Beach and the red rocks of Sedona while there as well, purchased crystals, and learned a lot of history as well.  I don't know that I can top this trip, but here's to trying!




No comments: