Thursday, February 14, 2013

Combo!

I'm going to combine Wordy Wednesday and Lazy Housewife posts today.  I really intended to type out a wordy Wednesday post yesterday, as well as LAST Wednesday but just didn't get around to it.

Our Wednesday schedule has turned into a copy of Manic Monday!  We are actually pretty busy most days right now.  Tuesday is our only day we don't have an activity!

Monday-Pottery class and Bowling League
Tuesday-WOO HOO home sweet home (mostly)
Wednesday-Preschool Co-Op followed by Three's art class
Thursday-Four's art class followed by One's art class
Friday-Gymnastics class (once a month) followed by Kindergarten Co-op.

This doesn't include evening activities (like basketball.)

It's a little chaotic, and quite reminiscent of the time when the girls were the boys ages and we were out of the house way more than we were home.  Add on to this "outside" schedule just fun things like the park, or a trip to the museum.  It's crazy.  It's super fun though!


Now, for Lazy Housewife--this is a recipe I've been making for at least a dozen years.  I have no idea where the recipe originated from, I haven't used an actual recipe in....probably a dozen years.  After the first couple times, you just wing it.  I'm going to share 2 versions:  Lazy Housewife-simple, dump/stir/bake format.  Skinny Housewife-make things from scratch for a healthier version of the same dish.

Lazy Housewife Mexican Chicken

One can cream of chicken soup
One can worth of milk
2 cups Shredded Mexican Blend cheese (or cheddar, whatever you've got will work.)
Taco Seasoning Packet
Chicken Breasts/tenderloins
Rice

Combine soup, milk, taco seasoning mix and 1/2 the shredded cheese in a bowl.  Grease your baking dish.  Put the chicken in the dish and pour the sauce over it.  Top with the rest of the cheese.  Put in oven.  I do 450 for 30 minutes if I'm using breasts, 350 for 20 minutes if I'm doing tenderloins.

Skinny Housewife Mexican Chicken

A healthier version is easy (but for real, I ain't hatin'  you do what you gotta do....)  But, you can make your own "cream of" soup fairly easily.  I used 2tbls butter, 2 tblsp flour, 1 cup chicken broth (homemade in the crockpot from a chicken that we had eaten,) and 1 cup milk plus seasonings:  salt and pepper, that was all I used because my broth has lots of other stuff in it.  Season according to your own taste.  

Taco Seasoning Mix:  I've posted the recipe I use before, because it's easy and great and free of any "bad" things.  There are tons of recipes available online, this one is my personal tried and true.  I make a double batch at a time, and keep it in a Tupperware container.

I should point out that I use coconut milk for this recipe (and all others.)  It doesn't alter the taste at all, has WAY less calories and the fat is all 'good' fat.  My son is allergic to milk, so it's a necessity for us, BUT I've learned to love the health benefits of it so much that I don't plan on switching back (even though, we haven't tested for milk allergy in almost 2 years, and I probably should give it a try.)




No comments: