Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wordy Wednesday

Yesterday,  I found a pin on Pinterest that brought up a subject I've discussed here before--the "perfect" homeschooler.  And, more importantly (IMO,) the damage they cause.

Here is a link to the blog post:  Dear Homeschool Moms Who Have It All Figured Out,

It got my brain going again on this subject.  And made me think before I commented a couple places yesterday:  Does this LIFT up the other homeschooler?  Does it encourage them?  Or is it self-promoting?

I never aim to make others feel bad with my posts, and I think I'm pretty honest when we are in a patch of life that is less than productive.  It happens, to EVERYONE.  Regardless of what some would like you to believe.

My mantra--It all evens out in the end.

I've been saying this for YEARS, and will tout it to any friends who come to me with a "we've been off track because of XYZ for a couple months...how are we ever going to finish 'on time'??"  First:  "on time" is a figment of your public school upbringing!  Truly.  Homeschooling allows "on time" to be whenever you finish!  Voila!

Now that my kids are older, I can tell you:  I'm right.  They have proven it to me!

Even though when One was ten years old we started totally OVER with math-like back to addition fact tables-this year, her 9th grade year, her math is dead even with her public school counterparts.  It all evens out in the end.

Even though Two didn't read fluently until she was nearly 8 (gasp!) she is an outstanding reader.  Having read all the Harry Potter series, plus Hunger Games and currently Catching Fire, plus beginning The Pretty Little Liars book series, PLUS required reading for school in the last year.  It all evens out in the end.

If you can convince yourself of this, you will be free!  Free, I say!!!  Just believe it.  If you are patient (ok, most of the time I was patient...not always, I yell, a lot) and loving and continue trying to provide new ways to look at the material, and are willing to step back and present it later, or even start completely from scratch--It will all even out in the end.

Much love, and zero perfection.
Shauna

No comments: