Saturday, July 31, 2010

Toddlers and Teens

I've been thinking about this post for a few days. I had a dinner this week with a friend, and I mentioned-briefly-some of these thoughts. I live in a crazy world. A world of both Toddlers and Teens. For those of you who may not know the specifics, my children are 12, 10 1/2, 3 1/2 and 1. Yeah. See, it's a little nuts. :-)

This world though offers me some interesting perspectives. First and foremost, it has shown me just how fast the time really does fly. It has given me the opportunity to really cherish my boys, as I know far to well how quicly they'll be my pre-teens, and by then, my girls will be women.

Just recently, I've been thinking about my big girls. They are old enough now that every so often I catch a glimpse of the people they are becoming. This is a new phenomenon for me. It's a beautiful thing though. I have come to find that I really like the people they are becoming! I guess I did a few things right.

A very dear friend of mine once told me that her wise father told her that you are done raising your kids by the time they are 12. After that, all you can do is guide. I think this is true, and now having seen some glimpses of the people my children are becoming, I am pleased. There is still work. There are some lessons I need to impart to One, and I'm hopeful her judgment will improve with maturity (she's way on the immature side, and I'm thankful for that--most of the time.) But, overall, I didn't totally screw up. :)

1 comment:

Corinne said...

You are a wonderful mother. And your girls will grow into wonderful women(and mothers).