Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: Loss

In early October, my aunt Sue(y) was diagnosed with a very aggressive, in-treatable form of lung cancer.  Yesterday, March 4, 2014, she passed away.

My family spent Thanksgiving Day together in 2013 for the first time in close to 10 years.  My Aunt Sue(y) hosted thanksgiving at her house when my girls were small every year (and also Christmas.)  As my cousins got older and became teens, she stopped hosting because there was often drama and no one wanted to deal with it.  This year, however, we realized it was probably the last one we were all going to have with her.  Even sick, she opened her house to all of us.  12 people descended on her house.

I'm so thankful that she was open to having us there, as those memories are a bright spot in the last few months.  Here she is with my girls:


Sue(y) was called Suey because when The Boy (my 25 yr old nephew) was small he was trying to say SuZy and it came out SuEy and stuck.  For 25 yrs, everyone in my family has said Suey every time we spoke about her, or to her.  She was her spunky, bossy, control freak, super woman self right up until the very end.  Just like her mama (my fireball of a grandmother!)

We love you always, and will miss you, our Suey.


No comments: