Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: You, Part 2

Last week, I wrote a post about YOU.

Today, I'm going to continue that thread of thinking.  Maybe it will develop into a series.  Who knows.  But it is what is on my heart and brain right now.  This post is going to be about the ways you can take care of YOU.  We are going to start the ideas with your physical person.

As a fitness instructor, I have heard a ton of excuses about WHY people don't do more to take care of their physical health.  Number one is always "no time."  C'mon now.  This is a LAME excuse.  I know some of you are CRAZY insanely busy and don't have a job that requires you to exercise.  But, truly, there is always time for things that you make a priority.  Get out of bed 15 minutes earlier.  Take 15 minutes at lunch.  If you put dinner in the oven, do something active for that time.  At the sink washing dishes, add in some exercises (calf raises, or squats would be easy to do right there at the counter.)  Sweeping or mopping?  Make sure you keep your abs pulled in.  Vacuuming?  Do some lunges.  What I'm really saying here is LOOK for ways to add in some exercise.  You will feel better.  Go for a walk (or jog,) even if it's 10 minutes, it's 10 minutes!  Don't minimize it and tell yourself things like:  I only have 10 minutes.  It's not going to make a difference.  Etc.  Anything you do is better than nothing!

I've never been a make-up wearing kind of gal.  (Until the last month or so but that's a whole other post!)  But, I did find that washing my face and applying a moisturizer (with SPF) made me feel more awake, and put together somehow!  I am a firm believer in taking care of your skin, who wants to look older than they are??  It takes about 60 seconds to make this step happen.  You will feel better, you'll look better...it's all win-win.  If you are a make-up wearing kind of gal, take the 5 minutes to do your make-up.  I admit, I still don't wear make-up, if I am staying home all day.  If I am going out though, I can do make-up in a matter of minutes, so it's really not a big deal!  Just do it.

Get out of your PJ's!  For the love of all things holy, get out of your PJ's!  I understand there are pj days, and that is not what I'm talking about here.  Everyone needs a pj day here and there:  when you're sick, when the family is sick, when the weather is nasty, when you've had an exceptionally busy time lately....all of these (and plenty of others I did not list, I'm sure) are perfectly acceptable pj days.  A good friend of mine tries to have one pj day for her and her kiddos every week.  And that is awesome.  I should also point out that THIS friend gets more done than anyone else I know.  She's super-woman-mom!  She earns that pj day.  You really will get more done and feel better about yourself if you get dressed.  I promise.

Looking and feeling better about yourself will go a long way towards your personal health.  It will also run over into other parts of your life:  your relationships, your job, your motivation.  It's an avalanche effect.

Take care of YOU (the physical side.)   Seem overwhelming?  Start with ONE thing.  Every day for the next 7, make yourself get dressed.  Every day for the next 7, put on make-up.  Every day for the next 7, do 10 (or 5 or 15...) minutes of exercise.  You can do this, for YOU.




I continued this line of thinking about YOU, in a third week.

No comments: